My coffee table is made from beech. I used a wipe-on linseed oil/poly finish.
Here's the table, just about finished.
Here's the table under construction. The drawer opening was made by ripping the front apron into three sections, cutting the drawer from the center section, & reglueing the pieces.
I made the kickers short becaue they don't do anything until the drawer is pulled about halfway out. I used shelf pins to attach the top. They're inserted only part way into their holes to allow the top to move.
Here's the top waiting for another application of finish.
Here's a detail shot of the drawer rails. What looks like glue squeezout are artifacts from the lighting and aren't visible on the real table.