Home Sofa Table Coffee Table End Table Dresser Taboret Nightstands Kitchen Cabinets Gun Rack Radiator Covers Plate Stand Breakfront Repair Guitar Mods My Shop Shop Furniture Router Table Insert Router Fence Box Joint Jig Taper Jig Dado Jig Practice Dovetails My Son's Chair Electrolytic Derusting Links


All the rails & stiles cut & stacked.  The grooves for the panels were cut with a standard blade in two passes, flipping them end for end between passes to ensure they are centered.  The tenons were made with my dado set on my TS.


Assembled & ready to trim to final size.  They're made from red oak with 1/2" oak ply panels.  They are recessed in front & have flush backs.  The panels were rabbeted to form a tongue to fit the grooves in the rails & stiles.  Because they are ply, I was able to glue them into the grooves, which makes for very strong doors.

Side note:  Finally got a digital camera.  The earlier shots on this site were made with a lo-res web cam, scanned prints from Polaroids (like the one above) or 4x6 prints from a 35mm film camera.


Everyone's favorite job: sanding.  I made this downdraft table, but I don't have a DC.  It works OK with my Craftsman 12 gallon vac, except  the filter clogs pretty quickly. Because of the limited air flow, it works best with larger workpieces.  For small workpieces, I cover part of the table with cardboard.


These will be joined to form the corner lazy Susan doors.  The small pieces of sheet copper are shims I used to try to keep the panels centered when I assembled them.  Had only limited success with that

Here's a close-up of the 35mm holes for the euro face frame hinges.


First wipe-on coat of Minwax Fast Dry poly, thinned 50% with MS & naphtha (about 2:1).  I think I will need 6 applications, maybe 7.  I'll get one more on tonight, one in the morning, one when I come home from work and maybe another before bed.  With 9 doors to do & not much room to lay them down, I'll be at this all week.  The blue tape is masking off what will be the right angle glue joint for the rotating corner cabinet door.


I have some leftover finish from my last project.  Think it's still good?

(11-30-03)


Three doors down & six more to go, plus the drawer fronts.  The difference in the color between the small & large doors is not nearly as much in real life as in this picture.   I am hoping to be able to replace the lazy Susan hardware if it's still being made. The existing hardware is pretty worn & sloppy, but I guess it will have to do if I can't find an exact replacement.


All the cabinet doors are done.  Starting tomorrow I'll make the drawer fronts & by the end of the week the job should be done.

(12-8-03)


I decided to use the same size stiles as on the doors, but in order to have a decent amount of panel I am using rails that are 1/2 the size of the other rails.  Hope this doesn't look weird.

Here's how the false front will be attached to the opening below the sink.  The corner blocks will locate the front, and the four toggles can be rotated to hold the front snugly in place.  There's no room to get a screwdriver in there to secure the front in a more conventional way without removing the sink.

(12-10-03)


The job's all done with the installation of the drawer fronts.  The new stainless steel oven is due this week.  I'm not sure what I'll do about the dishwasher, which we're keeping.  I reversed the black panel inserts to see how white would look, and I'm thinking about trying some wood or stainless steel inserts, too.

(12-12-03)

Top


Home